November 23rd, 2020 by Plus Fitness Australia
Kettlebells have been around for centuries however when it comes to exercise equipment, they are still often walked past in the gym by many who would prefer to pick up a more familiar dumbbell or load up a bar!
Kettlebells are incredibly functional allowing for a full body workout with just a small amount of space required. Most of us have seen the kettlebell swing however there are literally dozens of kettlebell exercises and kettlebell workouts that will work every part of your body while providing a solid calorie burn.
Kettlebells are best for swinging, hence the design, and this will assist in developing your posterior chain. To explain, your posterior chain are your bodies biggest muscles so giving these a solid workout with your full body kettlebell workout will literally torch calories.
Kettlebells are also an incredibly useful piece of exercise equipment for those looking to build up their strength and mobility. So if you're struggling with your barbell squat for example then subbing this with a kettlebell goblet squat is a great way to improve form with arguably a safer exercise.
Kettlebells are well suited for swings, clean and press and carries and also lend themselves to more dynamic movements where a dumbbell or barbell may not suit these exercises or you quite as well.
In this blog we are going to introduce you to 5 of our favourite kettlebell exercises to get you started.
1. Stand with feet set slightly wider than shoulder width apart, bend your knees and grab the kettlebell with both of your hands.
2. Driving with your hips, keep your back as flat as possible and swing the weight up to shoulder height.
3. Return to the start position and then repeat this movement for 30 seconds without losing momentum.
This exercise will work your glutes and hamstrings. As you perfect your form and feel able, start to increase the weight and aim to get to 90 seconds set. This is a fantastic fat burner as well.
1. Stand with your legs slightly wider than shoulder width apart, grab the kettlebell in front of you with both hands, close to your chest with your palms facing each other.
2. Bending your knees, lower yourself into a squat position whilst keeping the kettlebells in the same position. Tense your glutes throughout and ensure you don't round your back.
3. Drive back up and repeat.
When it comes to simple fat-burning, it's hard to beat the squat and the kettlebell squat will assist you in building great lower body strength and more powerful glutes.
1. Hold two kettlebells of same weight by their handles, so the weight is resting on the back of your shoulders.
2. Slightly bend your knees and squat down keeping your legs in line with your shoulders.
3. Drive through your legs and straighten them extending your arms as you do, to raise the kettlebells above your head.
4. Squat down slowly and then repeat.
This is one of the most under rated full body moves however this highly effective kettlebell thruster offers a full body workout that other moves can't even get near.
1. Hold two kettlebells of same by your sides.
2. Keep your arms strong and walk with short quick steps as fast as you can. Keep to a walk though.
3. Simply turn around and walk back.
This is ideal for building grip and will slide into the end of a tough workout nicely. The kettlebell farms walk will strengthen and build your upper back while assisting with the management of any lower back pain you may be experiencing.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart holding two kettlebells of same weight at shoulder height.
2. Press one of the weights above your head until your arm is fully extended.
3. Slowly lower and then repeat with the other arm.
This exercise will give you all of the benefits of the traditional shoulder press with improved strength without the having to wait for dumbbells or a machine to become available.
So next time you are at the gym and it’s getting a little squeezy around the benches, grab the kettlebell, or some kettlebells ,and get an even more rewarding full body, functional, calorie burning strength session tucked away.
If you are new to kettlebells than another great way to get an introduction to their use is with Personal Training. It is a very affordable service provided in every Plus Fitness gym. If you are looking to accelerate your results using kettlebells then ask for more information on Personal Training at your local Plus Fitness gym.